Class 8 Geography Chapter 1 Notes- Resource
Class 8 Geography Chapter 1 Notes- Resource we will study resources and their types ( natural resource, human-made resource and human resource). Conservation of resources and sustainable development.
You can also read NCERT Notes for all classes.
What is a resource?
Anything that can be used to satisfy a need is a resource for example Water, electricity, textbooks etc are resources.
All the things which we use have Utility. Utility or usability is what makes an object or substance a resource.
How do things become a resource?
Things become resources only when they have value. “Its use or utility gives it value. All resources have some value. Value means worth. Some resources have economic value, some do not. For example, metals may have a monetary value, but a beautiful landscape may not. Some resources can become economically valuable with time.
Time and technology are two important factors that can change substances into resources. People are also the most important resource. Their ideas, knowledge, inventions and discoveries lead to the creation of more resources.
Each discovery or invention leads to many others. For example, The Discovery of fire led to the practice of cooking and the invention of the wheel resulted in the development of newer modes of transport.
Types of Resources
Resources are classified into natural, human-made and human.
Resources that are drawn from Nature and used without much modification are called natural resources. Air, water, soils, and minerals are natural resources.
Natural resources can be broadly categorised into renewable and non-renewable resources depending on their development and use.
- Renewable Resources–
- Renewable resources are those which get renewed or replenished quickly.
- Some are unlimited like Solar and Wind energy while some are limited like Water and Forest.
- Non-Renewable Resources
- Non-renewable resources are those which have limited stock like Coal, petroleum and natural gas.
The distribution of natural resources depends on a number of physical factors like terrain, climate and altitude that’s why the distribution of resources is unequal.
Human Made Resources
Sometimes, natural substances become resources only when their original form changes. People use natural resources to make buildings, bridges, roads, machinery and vehicles, which are known as human-made resources. Technology is also a human-made resource.
People can make the best use of nature to create more resources when they have the knowledge, skill and technology to do so. That is why human beings are a special resource. People are human resources.
- Education and health help in making people a valuable resource.
- Human Resource Development:- Improving the quality of people’s skills so that they are able to create more resources
Human Resource refers to the number (quantity) and abilities (mental and physical) of people. Though, there are differing views regarding the treatment of humans as a resource.
Using resources carefully and giving them time to get renewed is called resource conservation.
Sustainable Development:- Balancing the need to use resources and also conserve them for the future is called sustainable development.
Principles of Sustainable Development
- Respect and care for all forms of life
- Improve the quality of human life
- Conserve the earth’s vitality and diversity
- Minimise the depletion of natural resources
- Change personal attitudes and practices towards the environment
- Enable communities to care for their own environment.
The future of our planet and its people is linked with our ability to maintain and preserve the life support
system that nature provides. Therefore it is our duty to ensure that :
- All uses of renewable resources are sustainable
- The diversity of life on the earth is conserved
- The damage to the natural environmental system is minimised.
CBSE Class 8 Revision Notes – Glossary
Important terms which are used in Resources notes class 8 geography chapter 1 notes are:
- Patent: It means the exclusive right over any idea or invention.
- Technology: It is the application of the latest knowledge and skill in doing or making things.
- Stock of Resource: It is the amount of resources available for use.
- Sustainable Development: Carefully utilising resources so that besides meeting the requirements of the present, also takes care of future generations.
Notes of Ch 1 Resource Class 8 Geography- Let’s do
If you want to enhance your memory then you have to solve these after reading Resource class 8 notes.
- List out five resources you use in your home and five you use in your classroom.
- Think of a few renewable resources and mention how their stock may get affected by overuse.
- Make a list of five human-made resources that you can observe around you.
We hope you like class 8 geography chapter 1 notes. you can also download the class 8 geography ch 1 notes pdf.