Agnipath Yojana / Agnipath Scheme 2022?
Recently government announce Agnipath Scheme 2022 / Agniveer Scheme 2022 for the Indian armed forces under which Agniveers are selected for different armed forces. In this article, we provide complete detail of the Agneepath yojana/ scheme 2022. After reading this article you will know about What is Agneepath Yojna, What Is Agniveer scheme, the Agniveer scheme eligibility, the age limit and the benefits of the scheme.
You can also find more Govt Schemes here.
If you preparing for UPSC and other govt exams this post will help you a lot. Find more Study material for UPSC.
What is Agnipath Scheme / Agnipath Scheme?
Agnipath Scheme is a policy which reforms the recruitment in the Indian armed forces. This is a major defence policy reform introduced by the Government to usher in a new era in the Human Resource policy of the three Services. The Agnipath scheme was announced by the defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday, June 14th 2022. The Agnipath scheme has been designed to enable a youthful profile of the Armed Forces.
- Agnipath is a new recruitment model for defence services in India.
- AGNIPATH allows patriotic and motivated youth to serve in the Armed Forces for a period of four years.
- It is envisaged that the average age profile of the Indian Armed forces would come down by about 4-5 years by the implementation of this scheme.
What Is Agniveer ? Agniveer Scheme?
The Union Cabinet approved a recruitment scheme for Indian youth to serve in the Armed Forces. The scheme is called AGNIPATH and the youth selected under this scheme will be known as Agniveers.
- Agnipath soldiers or Agniveers will be recruited for a period of four years.
- Under this Scheme, The plan is to recruit about 45000-50000 Agniveer below officer rank in the three services every year through a biannual exercise with a six-month gap.
- As per the Agnipath scheme, this year there will be a planned intake of about 46,000 young men and women.
- Enrolment of Agniveers to all three services will be through a centralized online system, with special rallies and campus interviews at recognised technical institutes such as the Industrial Training Institutes, and the National Skills Qualifications Framework. The Model is based on an all-India merit-based selection process.
Benefited for Agniveer or Benefit of Agniveer Scheme
Agniveers will be given an attractive customised monthly package along with Risk and Hardship allowances as applicable in the three services.
Composite Anual Package
- 1st Year package approx. Rs 4.76 lacs
- Upgradeupto approx. Rs 6.92 in the 4th year
corpus fund by
Allowances– Risk and Hardship, Ration, Dress, Travel allowances as applicable.
Seva Nidhi– On completion of the engagement period of four years, Agniveers will be paid one time ‘Seva Nidhi’ package which shall comprise their contribution including accrued interest thereon and matching contribution from the Government equal to the accumulated amount of their contribution including interest as indicated below
- 30% of monthly emolument to be contributed by the individual = 5.02 lakh
- The equal amount will be matched and contributed by the government = 5.02 lakh
- Corpus of approx Rs. 11.71 Lacs after four years given to the Agniveer
- This amount is exempted from income tax.
- Non-contributory life insurance of Rs. 48 lakhs.
- Additional Ex Gratia of 44 Lakhs for death attributable to service.
- Pay for the unserved portions for up to four years including the Seva Nidhi component.
- Compensation is based on % the disability laid down by medical authorities.
- One time ex-gratia of Rs. 44/25/15 Lakhs for 100% / 75% / 50% disability, respectively.
- Seva Nidhi package on completion of four years.
- Skill Gained Certificate.
- Based on the merit and organizational requirement, up to 25% of Agniveer can be selected as a regular cadre through a central, transparent, rigorous system.
- The candidates who become Agniveer will get a 10% reservation in recruitment in Assam Rifles after 4 years.
- Haryana / Uttar Pradesh / Madhya Pradesh and other states will also give preference to Agniveer in police department recruitment.
Army Agniveer Leave: Annual: 30 Days, Sick Leave. Medical advice based.
Eligibility Criteria for Agniveers or Agnipath Soldiers
Indian young people who follow the following criteria can apply for the Agniveer scheme.
The age limit for Agniveer is 17.5 to 23 years. Age relaxation as per govt rule.
Educational Qualification for Agniveer is class 12th and class 10th for different posts.
Medical and Physical standard- As per regular recruitment in all armed forces.
Aim of Agnipath Scheme
- The main aim of the scheme is to make the Army a future-ready fighting force, capable of meeting multiple challenges across the full spectrum of conflict.
- To cut the ballooning salary and pension bills.
- To transform armed forces into youthful, tech-savvy, modern, and to harness the youth’s potential and make them future-ready soldiers.
- The scheme is aimed at strengthening national security and also providing an opportunity for the youth to serve in the armed forces.
Advantages of Agniveer Scheme
- It is a transformative reform of the recruitment policy of the Armed Forces.
- This scheme provides a unique opportunity for the youth to serve the country and contribute to Nation Building.
- Armed Forces profile to be youthful and dynamic.
- This Scheme provides an attractive financial package for the Agniveers.
- Opportunity for Agniveers to train in the best institutions and enhance their skills & qualifications.
- Availability of well-disciplined and skilled youth with military ethos in civil society.
- Adequate re-employment opportunities for those returning to society and who could emerge as role models for the youth.
Agneepath Scheme- Broad Objectives
The broad objectives of the Agnipath/Agneepath Scheme are-
- To enhance the youthful profile of the Armed Forces so that they are at their fighting best at all times with increased risk-taking ability.
- To provide abilities and qualities such as discipline, motivation, dynamism, and work skills so that youth remains an asset.
- To imbibe the Armed Forces ethos, courage, commitment, and teamwork in the youth.
- To provide an opportunity to the youth who may be keen to serve the Nation in uniform for a short period of time.
- To attract youth talent among the society to effectively exploit, adapt, and use emerging modern technologies with enhanced technical thresholds of intake while leveraging Technical institutions of the country.
Criticism of Agnipath Scheme
May Defence experts and Scholars criticize Agnipath Scheme –
- Service only for four years is a very short time period.
- Retired Army officers are expressing reservation on the ‘All India All Class’ intake method and the provision of four-year short-term contractual recruitment. They are of the opinion that this new move would not be to the benefit of Nepal-Indian relations as it would cut down their intake.
- “Too much emphasis on providing skills to youth in the forthcoming armed forces. Real skills would be acquired by those who go on to don the uniform a little longer”. The service period of new recruits is 4 years which is way too less and then those who are keen to serve the nation longer should be retained.
- The annual intake into the Army is approximately 50,000 soldiers per year, give or take 10 percent. It will increase to 1-1.5 lakhs per year as per this model. This will result in a skewed intake and recruitment model.
Way Forward with Agnipath Defence Policy Reforms
- The move is expected to decrease the average age profile of armed forces personnel from the current 32 years to 24-26 years over a period of time.
- The infusion of disciplined, motivated and skilled ‘Agniveers’ back into society after military service, would be a great asset for the nation as it will be a “win-win proposition.
- The scheme will cut the annual revenue and pension bill which accounts for half of the annual defence budget of ₹ 5.2-lakh crore.
- It will have a positive impact on the human resources management of the armed forces.
- The scheme will increase employment opportunities with new skills in different sectors.
- The scheme will give a better opportunity to the youth who choose to serve the nation.
You can Download Agniveer Pdf here
Agnipath Scheme- Latest Updates
The government increased the age limit for Agniveer Scheme to 17.5 – 23 years. Initially, it was 17.5 – 21 years.
The government announced a 10% reservation in recruitment in Assam Rifles after 4 years.
Agneepath Scheme Protests
A nationwide protest is started against the Agniveer scheme. Students are uncertain about their future.