UPSC Prelims is the first stage of your Dream. This is officially known as the civil services preliminary exam but in common aspirants refer to it as UPSC Prelims, IAS prelims, or UPSC pre.
Here we provide all the essential things which help you to clear this exam.
Select Your Study Material For UPSC IAS Prelims 2023 Preparation
Select Your Study Paper for UPSC 2023 Prelims
Select Subject Which You Want to Read
Clear Your Doubt Regarding UPSC Pre 2023
- What is the pattern of the UPSC CSE Prelims Exam?
- Best Test Series for UPSC IAS Prelims exam 2023
- How to Prepare for IAS Prelims Paper 2023?
- Dos & Don’ts for UPSC CSE Prelims Exam.
- UPSC CSE Booklist for Various Subjects
List Of Important Articles
UPSC Prelims 2022 – Syllabus
UPSC IAS Prelims syllabus for 2023 Exam is given below:
General Studies Paper-1 Syllabus:
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity and Climate Change- that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science.
General Studies Paper-2 (CSAT) Syllabus:
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability.
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level)
- Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc. – Class X level).
- English language comprehension skills – Class X level.
UPSC Prelims – Trend Analysis
UPSC Prelims Exam Pattern
UPSC Civil Services Prelims Examination is comprised of two compulsory Papers of 200 marks each.
General Studies (GS)
2 hours (9:30 AM to 11:30 AM)
2 hours (2:30 PM to 4:30 PM)
- Both the question papers will be of the objective type (multiple choice questions) and each will be of two hours duration.
- The General Studies Paper-II of the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33%.
- The question papers will be set both in Hindi and English.
UPSC CSE Prelims Notification
The commission releases the UPSC CSE Notification for UPSC Exam 2023. Candidates who wish to appear for the upcoming UPSC Exam 2023 are advised to go through UPSC Notification. Download the UPSC Notification to ensure a full understanding of the exam.
UPSC Prelims Exam Overview
|UPSC Prelims Date 2023||28 May 2023|
|UPSC Prelims Duration||2 Hr each for GS-1 and CSAT|
|UPSC Prelims Language||English and Hindi both|
|Mode of UPSC Prelims||Offline- Pen and Paper; candidates need to fill the OMR Sheet with a black ballpoint pen.|
|UPSC Prelims Pattern||There are two papers, GS Paper 1 and CSAT Paper 2; both of them are MCQ Type|
|UPSC Prelims Subjects||History, Polity, Geography, Economy, Science & Technology, Environment, and Current Affairs. Aptitude for CSAT.|
|IAS Prelims Total Marks||200 marks (CSAT is qualifying with just 33% marks).|
|Documents Required for UPSC Prelims||Admit Card, Valid ID Proof, and Passport Size Photograph|
|Qualifying Marks for UPSC Prelims||UPSC Cutoff for Paper 1. For CSAT, it is 33% of the total marks.|
|Weightage of UPSC Prelims||One needs to qualify for the UPSC Prelims to sit for the UPSC Mains Exam. Marks of the Prelims are not added to the calculation of the final merit list.|
|UPSC Prelims Login||Application Number and Date of Birth|
|Official Website and Helpline Number||upsc.gov.in 011-23098543 / 23385271 / 23381125 / 23098591|
UPSC Prelims 2023 Important Dates
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has released the UPSC 2023 exam calendar. As per the calendar, the UPSC Prelims will be conducted on 28 May 2023. The application process for UPSC 2023 will start on 1st February 2023, and the last date of the application form will be 21 February 2023. Candidates can check out the important dates for UPSC Prelims 2023 in the below table.
|UPSC Prelims Exam 2023 Events||UPSC IAS 2023 Dates|
|UPSC 2023 Notification Date||1 February 2023|
|UPSC CSE Application Start Date 2023||1 February 2023|
|UPSC Application Form 2023 Last Date||21 February 2023|
|UPSC Prelims Admit Card Release Date||To be Notified|
|UPSC Prelims 2023 Date||28th May 2023.|
UPSC Prelims Marking Scheme
The UPSC Prelims Paper is objective type and there are negative markings of 1/3rd. The detailed marking scheme is given below.
|Paper||For Every Correct Answer||Negative Marking|
|Prelims Paper 1||2 Marks – 2*100 = 200||0.66 (1/3rd Marks)|
|Prelims Paper 2||2.5 Marks – 2.5*80 = 200||0.83 (1/3rd Marks)|